Agenda and minutes

Local Plan Cabinet Committee
Monday, 14th May, 2018 7.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber - Civic Offices. View directions

Contact: Gary Woodhall  Tel: 01992 564470 Email:  democraticservices@eppingforestdc.gov.uk

Media

Items
No. Item

1.

Webcasting Introduction

The Chairman will read the following announcement:

 

“I would like to remind everyone present that this meeting will be recorded for subsequent repeated viewing on the Internet and copies of the recording could be made available for those that request it.

 

By being present at this meeting it is likely that the recording cameras will capture your image and this will result in the possibility that your image will become part of the broadcast.

 

You should be aware that this may infringe your human and data protection rights. If you have any concerns please speak to the webcasting officer.

 

Please could I also remind members to put on their microphones before speaking by pressing the button on the microphone unit”

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman made a short address to remind attendees that this meeting would be broadcast live to the Internet and would be capable of repeated viewing, which could infringe their human and data protection rights.

2.

Declarations of Interest

(Assistant Director of Governance) To declare interests in any item on the agenda.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest pursuant to the Council’s Member Code of Conduct.

3.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 59 KB

(Assistant Director of Governance) To confirm the minutes of the last meeting of the Cabinet Committee held on 25 March 2013 (previously circulated).

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

(1)        That the minutes of the meeting held on 25 March 2013 be taken as read and signed by the Chairman as a correct record.

4.

Terms of Reference pdf icon PDF 34 KB

(Assistant to the Chief Executive) To note the Cabinet Committee’s terms of reference, as agreed by the Leader of the Council in June 2012.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Cabinet Committee noted its Terms of Reference.

 

The Chairman advised that the Terms of Reference would be reviewed in due course and modelled on the Terms of Reference for the Council Housebuilding Cabinet Committee.

5.

Any Other Business

Section 100B(4)(b) of the Local Government Act 1972, together with paragraphs (6) and (24) of the Council Procedure Rules contained in the Constitution requires that the permission of the Chairman be obtained, after prior notice to the Chief Executive, before urgent business not specified in the agenda (including a supplementary agenda of which the statutory period of notice has been given) may be transacted.

 

In accordance with Operational Standing Order (6) (non-executive bodies), any item raised by a non-member shall require the support of a member of the Cabinet Committee and the Chairman of the Cabinet Committee. Two weeks’ notice of non-urgent items is required.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

(1)        That, as agreed by the Chairman and in accordance with Section 100B(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the following item of urgent business be considered following the publication of the agenda:

 

            (a)        Epping Forest Special Area of Conservation (SAC) – Mitigation        Strategy.

6.

Epping Forest Special Area of Conservation (SAC) - Mitigation Strategy pdf icon PDF 2 MB

(Assistant Director of Neighbourhoods) A representative from the Conservators will attend to discuss their proposals for an Action Plan to mitigate the impacts on the Epping Forest Special Area of Conservation (SAC) from increased recreational pressure.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Cabinet Committee received a presentation from Mr P Thomson, Superintendent of Epping Forest, and Mr J Dagley, Head of Conservation, on their proposals for an Action Plan to mitigate the impacts on the Epping Forest Special Area of Conservation (SAC) from increased recreational pressure. The slides from the presentation have been attached at Appendix 1 to these minutes.

 

The Planning Policy Manager welcomed the presentation from the Conservators of Epping Forest, and highlighted that the Council was working hard to put a Mitigation Strategy in place as soon as possible. The progress outlined this evening was welcomed and it was essential to identify some initial projects to begin progressing.

 

The Conservators outlined the difference between themselves and Natural England. The Conservators were the landowners of the Forest and had a duty to manage the Forest, whereas Natural England were the body which advised on the management of sites such as the SAC and oversaw the implementation of the Habitat Regulations.

 

In respect of effective mitigation, the Conservators informed the Cabinet Committee that they did not have enough information yet on Air Quality and Traffic movements, but had more information on the potential recreation pressures faced by the Forest, especially at ‘hot spots’ and sensitive areas. Possible mitigation measures included the provision of alternative sites to relieve the pressure at the ‘hot spots’ or the development of ‘buffer land’ on the edge of the Forest to accommodate more visitors than at present. Robust monitoring would also need to be put in place to ensure that the agreed measures, when implemented, was having the desired effect.

 

The Conservators highlighted that, although further modelling needed to be performed, an extended Forest Transport Strategy could potentially be a useful mitigation measure. Some helpful work had been performed with the Six Counties Group, but further work needed to be performed with the neighbouring London Boroughs to manage the Forest’s approach to visitors. Visitor surveys had also indicated that cycling within the Forest was on the increase. The Conservators were looking to improve the pathways for cyclists and pedestrians to share, and dedicated routes for cyclists could be provided in the future. The Conservators would seek to cater for all users of the Forest, whether they were walkers, cyclists or horse riders.

 

The Conservators stated that they were aware of the work of Fields in Trust and their evaluation of different spaces. The Conservators were planning on publishing something similar themselves, highlighting the value of biodiversity within the Forest as well as the value of visitors to the Forest. The Conservators were very aware of the degradation of some verges within the Forest caused by parking.

 

In respect of the demand for technology and mobile coverage / capacity within the Forest, the Conservators acknowledged that technology could help in the use of the Forest, such as the use of Google or Apple Maps by visitors, as well as measure and manage the impact of visitors on the Forest. It was acknowledged that there were some  ...  view the full minutes text for item 6.

7.

Epping Forest District Local Plan Submission Version - Report on the Regulation 19 Publication pdf icon PDF 132 KB

(Assistant Director of Neighbourhoods) To consider the attached report (LPC-001-2018/19).

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Interim Assistant Director of Neighbourhoods (Planning Policy) presented a report on the Regulation 19 publication of the Epping Forest District Local Plan submission version.

 

The Interim Assistant Director advised the Cabinet Committee that the Local Plan Submission Version 2017 had been published under Regulation 19 of the Town & Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012 for a period of six weeks between 18 December 2017 and 29 January 2018. The Council had received over 1,000 responses to the Local Plan Submission Version from a wide range of stakeholders, and the Cabinet Committee was provided with an overview of the responses received. Aside from the responses relating to specific settlements or allocations, the other key issues raised by respondents were:

 

            (a)        the Council had not consulted fairly in the course of preparing the    Local Plan Submission Version and not taken into account previous      consultation responses;

 

            (b)        the Council’s approach to infrastructure remained unclear in             relation to where and when infrastructure would come forward and how it         would be funded;

 

            (c)        objections to the level of Green Belt release and claims that the new             Green Belt boundaries were not robust;

 

            (d)        objections to the Council not publishing the site selection appendices             before the Regulation 19 publication period commenced; and

 

            (e)        concern over how the Council would tackle the issue of air   quality and             representations from statutory bodies on how to strengthen its approach.

 

The Interim Assistant Director highlighted that the report on the agenda covered in detail the number, format and subject of all representations received, along with an update on how the Council took into account representations made to the draft Local Plan. The Cabinet Committee was also advised that the Council had received representations from the expected statutory consultees.

 

Decision:

 

(1)        That the report analysing the responses received to the Local Plan Submission Version Regulation 19 Publication be noted.

 

Reasons for Decision:

 

To update the Cabinet Committee on the responses received and key issues raised from the recent publication of Local Plan Submission Version.

 

Other Options Considered and Rejected:

 

To not advise the Cabinet Committee of the responses received and key issues raised in relation to the Local Plan Submission Version.

8.

Epping Forest District Local Plan Update pdf icon PDF 144 KB

(Assistant Director of Neighbourhoods) To consider the attached report (LPC-002-2018/19).

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Planning Policy Manager presented an update on the work being undertaken to support the progression and implementation of the Epping Forest District Local Plan. 

 

The Planning Policy Manager reminded the Cabinet Committee that the Local Plan Submission Version (LPSV) established the policies and allocations that would be subject to independent examination. However, plan-making was an ongoing and iterative process, and work had continued on developing the Evidence Base to support the Plan, and to develop the Implementation Strategy.

 

The Planning Policy Manager provided a short summary of the ongoing work, which included the anticipated dates for the publication of further reports and information that would need to be taken into account during the Independent Examination process following the submission of the Plan. Updates were also provided on several areas of work being undertaken across local authority boundaries and work to implement the Local Plan and ensure the timely delivery of the planned housing and infrastructure. The Cabinet Committee was advised to consider the report in conjunction with the existing Evidence Base, particularly the Duty to Cooperate Compliance Statement (EB119) and the Housing Implementation Strategy (EB410).

 

The Planning Policy Manager informed the Cabinet Committee on the progression of the Neighbourhood Plans within the District. There were currently ten designated Neighbourhood Plan areas within the District. The Neighbourhood Plan for Moreton, Bobbingworth and the Levers was the most advanced, having been examined in public in 2016, and was in the process of being revised. The Neighbourhood Plan for Chigwell had been submitted to the Council for publication under Regulation 16, which would take place for a period of six weeks following the Local Elections in May 2018. All of the other Neighbourhood Plans were in their early stages of preparation, with the Plans for Epping, North Weald Bassett and Ongar being the most advanced and intending to undertake public engagement exercises in the coming months. The Planning Policy Team, together with the Rural Community Council for Essex, continued to provide support for Town and Parish Councils wherever possible.

 

Cllr Kauffman enquired about the terms of reference that had been given to Essex County Council for the traffic assessments, and whether more detail could be given to Members about these. Cllr Kauffman stated that he had an interest in the assessments for the Loughton area, as there was development planned but the roads were insufficient to cope with current traffic levels. The Planning Policy Manager responded that the current work being undertaken by Essex County Council was building upon previous traffic assessments undertaken and completed, which were now published on the Council’s website. Particular emphasis would be on those junctions where it was felt further development would increase the pressure of traffic, but the terms of reference for Essex County Council could be provided to Members if they so wished.

 

In respect of the Quality Review Panel, Cllr J M Whitehouse queried how its discussions would be disseminated to Members, and how Members and Town/Parish Councillors could make their views known to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 8.

9.

Exclusion of Public and Press

Exclusion

To consider whether, under Section 100(A)(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public and press should be excluded from the meeting for the items of business set out below on grounds that they will involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in the following paragraph(s) of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act (as amended) or are confidential under Section 100(A)(2):

 

Agenda Item No

Subject

Exempt Information Paragraph Number

Nil

Nil

Nil

 

The Local Government (Access to Information) (Variation) Order 2006, which came into effect on 1 March 2006, requires the Council to consider whether maintaining the exemption listed above outweighs the potential public interest in disclosing the information. Any member who considers that this test should be applied to any currently exempted matter on this agenda should contact the proper officer at least 24 hours prior to the meeting.

 

Background Papers

Article 17 of the Constitution (Access to Information) define background papers as being documents relating to the subject matter of the report which in the Proper Officer's opinion:

 

(a)        disclose any facts or matters on which the report or an important part of the report is based;  and

 

(b)        have been relied on to a material extent in preparing the report and does not include published works or those which disclose exempt or confidential information and in respect of executive reports, the advice of any political advisor.

 

The Council will make available for public inspection one copy of each of the documents on the list of background papers for four years after the date of the meeting. Inspection of background papers can be arranged by contacting either the Responsible Officer or the Democratic Services Officer for the particular item.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Cabinet Committee noted that there was no business which necessitated the exclusion of the public and press from the meeting.